Insuring Public Buildings

At a minimum, your community should have flood, wind, and fire insurance for all public buildings in the mapped floodplain, as well as any other hazard-prone areas. Your community risk manager or appropriate office should assess each building’s exposure to coastal hazards, and should determine if existing insurance specifically covers damage from floods, storm surge, waves, and shoreline erosion.